February 09, 2018
Ahhh Valentines day. Whether you’re partnered up or swinging solo, the day is always met with a combination of anticipation/fear/downright loathing. Will you have a date? Will your partner remember? Do you even care?
That’s why this year we’re taking a leaf out of Leslie Knope’s book (any Parks and Recreation fans out there?) and celebrating Galentines day. That’s right - a day for the gals. Because really, do you need an excuse to celebrate how goddamn fabulous you (and your friends) are? We thought not. And, as we all know, there’s no better way to celebrate than with a deliciously indulgent pamper session for one. So, here are five ways to do just that.
1. Have a good soak in the tub Run yourself a hot bath (not too hot though, because you don’t want to get dehydrated and have to get out!) and splash in some decadent bubble bath. Heck, why not pour yourself a wine while you’re at it and flick through a trashy novel? Aside from a soak being the ultimate “you time”, it’ll leave your skin soft and supple, which leads us to the next step...
2. Give yourself a scrub down Exfoliation may not be a sexy word, but by gosh will you feel sexy afterwards. Trust us. For those unfamiliar, exfoliation (or, a body/face scrub) is your one way ticket to glowing skin. It uses fine particles of sugar, coffee (or sometimes other ingredients like charcoal) to gently slough off the dead skin cells so they can make way for the fresh, new, glowing ones underneath. It’s a process you should do at least once a week (not just Valentines day). Anyway, after soaking in the tub for 5-10 minutes, take your scrub and apply in gentle circular motions all over your body. Rinse off in the bath water and you’re good to go.
3. Slather on some lotion Now is the optimal time to amp up the softness factor by layering on some body lotion, because your pores are already open from the heat. Post bath, pat down your body with a towel but leave it with a little bit of moisture as this will help the lotion absorb into your skin better. Then, take your body lotion and again apply in circular motions all over the body. Finish by massaging a good quality hand cream into your mitts, focussing also on the cuticle area which often gets overlooked.
4. Prep your lips Remember the part about exfoliating your body? You can do that for your lips too. And, let’s face it - after two months of beach time and air con they’ll probably be chapped, dry and screaming out for some TLC. In fact, if you really want to keep your lips super smooth, you can even do it a few times a week. These are generally formulated with gentler ingredients and often contain hydrating oils to moisturise your lips too. As with your body, use in gentle motions, rinse with lukewarm water and revel at how deliciously smooth (and yes, totally kissable) your lips feel.
5. Add a touch of colour Whether you’ve got a hot date with a partner - or the TV - slicking on a hint of colour will make you feel just a little bit fancy. We love a tinted lip balm which will not only hydrate your lips (the perfect finish to your pamper sesh) but also give a barely-there, natural colour - just like your lips but better.